Visibility is key to the success of a law firm, and SEO services and marketing agencies help your firm get seen. Some agencies work on both SEO and marketing, while others specialize in one or the other.
SEO is “search engine optimization” which simply means ensuring your site shows up in Google (and Bing and other, less popular search engines) when people search for related topics. An SEO agency works to make sure your site can be found and indexed by search engines and appears close to the top in search results. SEO work can include keyword optimization, content production, linkbuilding, and more.
SEO agencies can also help your firm with SEM. SEM is “search engine marketing,” and typically refers to paid search activities like paid search ads, display ads, pay-per-click (PPC), social media ads, and remarketing (or retargeting).
Digital marketing agencies often take a multi-pronged approach to ensuring your firm gets noticed. Some marketing agencies offer SEO services as well, while others focus only on digital marketing efforts.
A digital marketing agency is a company that works with law firms to manage any of a combination of marketing functions, often including branding, marketing plan development, website design and development, content marketing, social media marketing, paid ad management, and more. A digital marketing agency can help you refine your brand and tell your firm’s story: who you are, who you serve, and why. Once you have a strong brand story, that can guide the development of your firm’s digital marketing efforts.
Of course, the core of digital marketing is your law firm website. Website designers create your website’s look and feel. They help with branding, logos, colors, and website and page layout. A website developer takes the designer’s guidance to then code and builds a functional website based on the designer’s layouts.
Law Firm SEO Services & Marketing Agencies (Alphabetical List)
Filter by Feature
- Beam Local helps lawyers with web design and development, localized online marketing, and conversion optimization. Learn more about Beam Local.
- Convert IT Marketing is a law-firm specific marketing firm that specializes in pay-per-click (PPC) ad campaigns. Learn more about Convert IT Marketing.
- FindLaw offers expensive law firm websites and SEO services of questionable value to attorneys. Learn more about FindLaw.
- Inbound Law Marketing is a digital marketing and web design services company that focuses on helping attorneys turn "clicks into customers." Learn more about Inbound Law Marketing.
- Juris Digital is a full-service digital marketing agency that provides website design and development, SEO, content, and paid search marketing services. Learn more about Juris Digital.
- Justia is a lawyer directory and offers law firm website design, SEO, and related marketing services for attorneys. Learn more about Justia.
- Lawlytics is a website marketing system built by an attorney for attorneys to help empower you to grow your practice in a time and cost-efficient manner. Learn more about LawLytics.
- Mockingbird Marketing is a digital marketing firm that works exclusively with lawyers, helping them develop and execute a targeted marketing strategy. Learn more about Mockingbird Marketing.
- PaperStreet is an award-winning full-service web design, SEO, and internet marketing company built by a lawyer for lawyers. Learn more about PaperStreet.
- Postali is a great option for attorneys looking to outsource their marketing needs, from SEO to mailed letters and everything in between. Learn more about Postali.
- Rankings.io is an SEO agency for lawyers that utilizes a creative approach to SEO campaigns to help you rank on the first page of Google. Learn more about Rankings.io.
- Scorpion is a controversial SEO service and marketing agency for attorneys and other professionals with mixed reviews from clients. Learn more about Scorpion Marketing.
- Spotlight Branding works exclusively with attorneys to market their practices by taking the focus off SEO and turning it towards building a premium brand. Learn more about Spotlight Branding.
- The Newsletter Pro offers law firm newsletter marketing services designed and written with your voice and your audience in mind. Learn more about The Newsletter Pro.
- Uptime JurisPage is a web design and digital marketing company for lawyers. It offers website design, SEO, social media branding, and digital marketing services. Learn more about Uptime JurisPage.
Sorry, no results based on your choices.
How to Choose a Law Firm SEO Service or Marketing Agency
Making a decision about which SEO service or marketing agency to use first requires that you assess your firm’s needs and budget. Are you concerned about your performance in search results? Do you have the financial capacity to do some paid advertising? Are you happy with the look of your current website? Do you need an external agency to provide fresh content for your site or for your social media presence?
When you’ve thought about the scope of your needs, that can help you determine what type of agency to hire. If your needs are limited to wanting to rank higher in local search results, an SEO firm may be all you need. If you’re looking for a comprehensive marketing solution, you’ll want to look at agencies with more breadth. If you’d like your website to integrate with your law practice management software or client relationship management software, you will need an agency conversant with those sorts of integrations.
If you’re considering a website redesign, you’ll want to look at the agency’s previous work. A company that does website design should generally make a portfolio of past work available on their website. If they don’t offer a portfolio, they should, at minimum, offer references so you can judge the quality of their past work. Looking at a portfolio also helps you determine whether that agency’s style fits your aesthetic. If you haven’t thought a lot about what your aesthetic is, take a look at some of our Best Law Firm Websites for some ideas.
It’s also helpful if an SEO or marketing agency offers a free site audit or SEO assessment. That can give you ideas about what you might improve and also gives you a chance to see if the agency is a good fit for you in terms of working together. Both SEO and design services contracts can last several months, so you’ll want to be sure to work with an agency where you have smooth communication and enjoy working with each other.
Some digital marketing agencies offer geographical exclusivity — in other words, if they are working with you, they won’t work with other law firms in your area. That may be important to you, particularly if you are trying to build a local web presence in a relatively small market.
If you work with a web designer, there are important questions about what happens when the design work is done. Ideally, a firm will offer ongoing website support to troubleshoot or make small changes, unless you’re a firm large enough to have personnel to handle ongoing website maintenance. The question of who owns what at the end of the project is also key. Do you own your website design, particularly after your contract with the company ends? Ideally, it’s always best to own your website content and design assets.
Agencies that focus on SEO improvements should be able to show you that they take a broad approach to doing so. SEO is much more than simply increasing your firm’s search result ranking. A competent agency should be familiar with how to optimize your site — to make sure your pages load fast, that your site has an appropriate amount of links per page, that your pictures have alt text, and more. SEO strategy can be complicated, and a good agency should be able to explain to you what all the SEO-related terms mean and what approaches they are taking to improve your site.
Above all, communication is key. Make sure your contract with an agency accurately explains the scope of work, make sure your lines of communication remain open, and make sure you always understand what steps an agency is taking and why.
Law Firm SEO Services & Marketing Agencies Feature Descriptions
Free Consultation. A free consultation or website audit can help you figure out if a particular marketing agency is a good fit with your law firm.
Focused on Law. Some marketing agencies focus on representing law firms, while others apply their skills to multiple industries.
Exclusivity. Marketing can be winner-take-most, especially when it comes to search. That can present a conflict if a marketing agency represents direct competitors. Many marketing agencies won’t represent direct competitors for this reason, although exclusivity may cost more.
Law Firm Websites. A well-designed law firm website with a solid SEO strategy is the foundation of any law-firm marketing plan. Besides just creating the website, companies may offer to draft copy, produce videos, and maintain and support the website.
Will You Own Your Website?. If your web design company owns the assets it creates for your website, it can be difficult to transfer your website to another hosting provider or marketing agency.
Copywriting. Drafting effective website copy, including pages and blog posts, is a specialized skill, and it can help your firm launch a new law website much more quickly than if you intend to draft the copy yourself.
Video Production. Professional video production can enhance your website and drive visitors to contact your firm.
Portfolio. Before you hire, you should look at other websites the company has designed. A public portfolio makes this easy.
Website Maintenance. Websites require technical upkeep, which isn’t always included in your fee.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO involves more than just optimizing keywords for search engines, but the end goal is for potential clients to find your website. Note: effective SEO is not cheap, and cheap SEO is rarely effective.
On-Page SEO. On-page SEO involves optimizing the content and metadata of your law firm website pages. This is essential but fairly basic.
Linkbuilding. Building off-site links back to your website effectively probably requires a strategy and a fair amount of work. Linkbuilding tactics can include writing guest posts, outreach, and more.
Local SEO. Search engines use what they know about your location when they deliver search results, and not just in map apps. Local SEO aims to boost your results when location is relevant.
Pay-Per Click (PPC) Advertising. PPC advertising puts your search results on top of targeted search queries.
Google Certified Partner. An optional certification that means Google has certified the vendor as an expert in Google Ads. It does not mean the vendor has any kind of special relationship with Google.
Brand Design. If you need a logo or other marketing assets, you might want a branding package for your law firm.
Social Media Marketing. Your marketing agency can help you design and maintain a social media presence.
Email Marketing. Email marketing can be highly effective, and a marketing agency can help your firm develop and execute an email strategy.
Offline Marketing. Offline marketing may include things like letterhead, newspaper ad design, etc.