- Build the tribe.
- Improve the ecosystem.
- Deliver value first; seek profit second.
- Learn and teach.
- Think inclusively.
- Do great work that supports a great life.
Lawyerist’s core focus is to build the tribe of small-firm lawyers who are building sustainable law practices for the next 20 years and beyond. Firms in the Lawyerist tribe are built around client-centric services, future-oriented technology, profit-oriented business models, and—like us—have access to justice and inclusion among their core values. We have invested $37,397 in access to justice and inclusion initiatives since 2016, and we are on track to double that by March 2019.
What We Offer
Here is an overview of what we offer:
The Lawyerist Podcast
The Lawyerist Podcast features successful lawyers and other creatives helping to shape the future of law practice. It is free, of course. Some of the most popular episodes include:
- Fostering Culture in your Law Firm
- Sustainable Subscription Fees for Business Clients
- Building a Future-Centric Law Firm
- Designing Your Clients’ Experience
- Building an Automated Law Practice
- Why Intake is the Key to Law Firm Success
You can also check this list. We guarantee you’ll find something to help you improve your business (and, probably, your life).
Lawyerist’s website has thousands of posts, pages, resources, reviews, downloads, and comments that will help you build your future-focused law firm. Here are some of the more popular:
- Law Practice Management Software Reviews
- The Gentleman Lawyer’s Guide to Facial Hair
- Timekeeping and Billing Software Reviews
- Accounting Software Reviews
- Proper Deposition Objections
- Credit Card Processing Reviews
- Microsoft Office Ninja Skills
- Best Law Firm Websites
- Professional Handbags for Women
- Client-Centered Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Virtual Receptionists Reviews
- Legal Conferences & Events Reviews
The Small Firm Scorecard
The Small Firm Scorecard (and its analog, the Solo Practice Scorecard) are guided self-assessment tools we designed to help small firms and solo lawyers check their strengths and weaknesses and explore goals, strategy, systems, marketing, client service model, finances, and people and staffing. For example:
- Do you know specifically what you want to get out of your firm, including how much money you want to take home, how many hours you want to work (including vacations), the kind of work you want to be doing, and the impact (if any) you want your work to have in the world?
- Do you use a set of key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor your firm’s health and help predict future success?
- Do understand your ideal client’s “buyer’s journey” based on actual interviews with real clients and potential clients?
- And many more…
Lawyerist Insider (Free)
Our free Lawyerist Insider subscription deepens your relationship with the tribe. You’ll join a large—and growing—cohort of similarly different-minded lawyers trying to find better ways to solve legal problems for clients. Your free subscription gives you:
- Access to the always-growing Lawyerist Insider Library and its menagerie of charts, templates, worksheets, and checklists;
- Our weekly Lawyerist Insiders-only email newsletter; and
- Access to our super-useful and active private Facebook group.
Lawyerist Insider Plus
Lawyerist Insider Plus gives you another level of access to our paid content. You get everything you see above, plus:
- In-depth “survival guides” on website design, starting a WordPress blog, setting up your new computer, and computer security upgrades.
- Discounts from our partners through our Affinity Partner Program
- An ever-growing list of our other premium guides, tools, and templates.
You could buy all of our paid content piecemeal, but you get them all at a discount and instantaneously for just $89/year with a Lawyerist Insider Plus subscription. Your subscription’s value only grows as we (continually) add new content to the library. This is the first thing you pay for with us. We think you’ll find it is worth it.
Lawyerist Lab is our flagship. It is unquestionably our most valuable—and ambitious—offering. The program includes business coaching and strategy sessions, guided projects, intimate and hand-picked mastermind groups, video and audio training, a vibrant community, weekly workshops, and other tools designed to help you build the law business you have always envisioned.
Building from the Small Firm Scorecard’s core concepts, Lab’s guided accountability journey dives into your goals, strategy, client acquisition, client-centered services, personal productivity, technology, innovation, systems & procedures, finances, and people & staffing.
- Coaching. You will work with a business coach to create a personalized strategic plan and S.M.A.R.T. goals.
- Content. You will get content (video and written) each week focused on one of the fundamental areas of practice management.
- Implementation tools. Daily worksheets and templates guide you through steps to create and implement strategies in each of the core practice management areas.
- Accountability & support. Lab team members and other community members will hold you accountable, provide feedback, and answer questions in a private online discussion group.
- Understanding. Do you need to take a week off for trial? We get it. We’ve been there. We’ll be here to pick you up on the other side.
- Mastermind calls. You will be grouped into carefully-curated small groups (based on firm size, age, etc.) and meet for facilitated monthly mastermind calls.
- Private community. You’ll be front and center in our closed community platform where your drive and ideas take flight while your tribe flies alongside.
- Expert workshops. You will hear from leading experts in the practice management core competencies and interact with them through online workshops.
- Lawyerist LabCon. You’ll get an invitation to this amazing in-person event modeled on the ever-popular TBD Law (price of the conference to be paid separately).
You can learn more about Lab here.
Lawyerist LabCon (f/k/a TBD Law)
LabCon is Lawyerist’s capstone event for Lawyerist Lab participants and select other members of the Lawyerist community. At this live, in-person conference, you’ll join a crew of ahead-of-the-curve lawyers to reimagine the practice of law, rethink how lawyers and their clients work together, and retool your law firm business models for the next decade.
- LabCon is not open to everyone and it is not a CLE. This invite-only event is capped at 75 attendees so everyone’s voice can be heard and so we can emphasize our community’s inherent diversity by curating who is in the room. Innovative lawyers come in all genders, colors, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- LabCon is a unique mix of conference, summit, retreat, design-thinking workshop, and hackathon. You won’t hear the speakers you typically find on a conference agenda. LabCon features scintillating facilitated and interactive conversations, workshops, and activities.
- LabCon is an all-inclusive event. The event fee covers registration, meals, activities, and lodging. Just get yourself to Minneapolis.
- We promise enough coffee, food, and drinks to fuel two-and-a-half days of intense conversations and mind-blowing practice hacking. You’ll leave with at least one book to inspire you, a community of innovators to help you reach your goals, a bucket-list tour, and a whole new perspective on the practice of law.
Lawyerist started out in 2007 as a blog called SoloSmallTech, born of Sam’s search for better tech tools for law practice. As a small community started to come together in the comments, it became a great place for solo and small-firm lawyers to find innovative ideas.
After a little while, Sam renamed the publication to Lawyerist and started inviting other writers, starting with Eric Cooperstein, to help cover other law practice subjects. Not long after that, in March 2009, Aaron Street joined Lawyerist to turn Sam’s promising little website into a company, with the goal of fostering a community of innovative solo and small-firm lawyers. The site grew quickly, and so has the community along with it.
Join Your Tribe
The innovative and entrepreneurial small-firm lawyers in the Lawyerist community are not like-minded, exactly. Call us similarly different-minded lawyers who are trying to figure out a better way to solve legal problems for clients.
Now you can join that community by joining the Lawyerist Insider. Perks include access to our Insider Library, our weekly Insiders-only email newsletter, and small-firm lawyers can join our private Facebook group for Insiders.
Advertise with Lawyerist
Go here to learn more about our advertising options.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.