Don’t build your marketing plan around the strategies you want to employ. That’s step 4. First, you need to do a little background work to figure out which strategies make sense for your practice. This week, Karin and Sam talk through her 5-step marketing plan.
Plus, Sam and Aaron talk about a BigLaw April Fools prank that was in very poor taste but turns out to be a really good idea.
Quality of Life is a Joke (to Some)
Here’s the email policy Weil Gotshal distributed on April 1st:
(1) Email will not be transmitted between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. This will be implemented in the local time zone for each Weil office. This will be the default email setting, subject to opt-outs as described below.
(2) Emails will not be transmitted between 11:00 p.m. Friday and 6:00 a.m. Monday, also implemented in the local time zone for each Weil office and also subject to opt out.
(3) When an employee is on vacation, no emails will be transmitted from 11:00 p.m. on the day prior to start of vacation to 6:00 a.m. on the first day back at work after vacation. All emails during this time will be automatically responded to with a message that the recipient is on vacation and not receiving emails, and the name, email address and telephone number of a designated substitute for the duration of the vacation.
Then it wrote “We are proud to be taking a leadership role in caring about our colleagues’ quality of life.”
But that’s a really good email policy and you should probably adopt it — or an even more aggressive version — because it will make you a happier, healthier lawyer. It will also improve the quality of your work.
Karin Conroy’s 5-Step Basic Law Firm Marketing Plan
Karin is a marketing pro who has been writing for Lawyerist since 2009. She’s been working on a series of articles laying out a basic, 5-step marketing plan. Today, we talk through all 5 steps:
- Identify your market
- Conduct a simple SWOT analysis
- Find your unique selling point
- Strategies for marketing
- Determine your costs
Thanks to Ruby Receptionists for sponsoring this episode.
Listen and Subscribe
To listen to the podcast, just scroll up and hit the play button.
To make sure you don’t miss an episode of the Lawyerist Podcast, subscribe now in iTunes, Stitcher, or any other podcast player. Or find out about new episodes by subscribing to the Lawyerist Insider, our email newsletter. We will announce new episodes in the Insider, and you can listen to them right here on Lawyerist.