2021 marked the first time in 35 years that the ABA TECHSHOW community did not meet in person. This year, the Planning Board decided to move forward with both an “in-person” and “virtual” event. In doing so, the Board said it is “creating two distinct, yet connected experiences.” This year’s in-person event is back at the Hyatt Regency Chicago from March 2, 2022 – March 5, 2022.
One of the highlights of the ABA TECHSHOW is the jammed-packed CLE programming offering a variety of tracks and topics. This year’s programming is divided into five tracks: Design, Launch, Grow, Sustain, and Transform. The Planning Board does a great job inviting familiar faces and new speakers. This year is no exception. Lawyerist is proud to recognize alumni of our Lab coaching community and former podcast guests speaking at this year’s event. Make sure you say “hi” and check out their sessions:
- Iffy Ibekwe: Serve New Clients by Increasing Culture Competency, Managing Tech Overwhelm, and Designing Your Career
- M. Zane Johnson: Fee Setting Strategies – How to Use Customer-Focused Pricing to Increase Client Satisfaction and Lawyer Well-Being and Managing Change Through Uncertainty
- Erin Gerstenzang: Side-Hustle Law Firm – How to Bridge the Gap When You are Starting Your Own Practice and Building Bridges to a Complete Legal Ecosystem: Getting Lawyers Off an Island
- Kim Bennet: What Legal Can Learn from Other Industries
- Jordan Furlong: 21st Century Practice: Creating a Sustainable Workplace for the Next Generation
- Lori Gonzalez: Come Play in the Sandbox: How to Advance Legal Services Through Regulation
- Gyi Tsakalaskis: 60 in 60
- Ed Walters: Creating a Certification for Trustworthy AI? If, When & The Future for Legal Professionals & Clients and Come Play in the Sandbox: How to Advance Legal Services Through Regulation
Of course, a fun benefit of attending the conference is the TECHSHOW EXPO. The EXPO floor features all the top legal technology vendors and service providers. It’s a great opportunity to see what each product offers, get onsite demonstrations, and hear about their latest features. Do you have a tech product that you have struggled to make do exactly what you want? The EXPO floor offers a chance to talk face-to-face with the company’s representatives and figure out a solution. We’ve been witness to lots of a-ha moments from happy clients on the floor.
New Legal Tech
ABA TECHSHOW is also a great place to see what’s on the horizon for legal technology. The event kicks off Wednesday evening with the 6th annual pitch competition—a startup competition showcasing 15 innovative legal startups. Attendees of the event listen to short presentations from each finalist and vote on the ultimate winner. Additionally, each finalist exhibits in the EXPO hall’s Startup Alley. This allows conference attendees an opportunity to connect with the developers and learn more.
Lawyerist at TechShow
For Team Lawyerist, ABA TECHSHOW offers a chance to connect with lawyers in our community. You’ll find business coaches Stephanie Everett and Sara Muender, along with Legal Tech Advisor Zack Glaser, at this year’s event. Don’t be a stranger! If you see them, please say hello and ask them their current favorite show to binge-watch. Registration for both the virtual and in-person experiences is open. Visit the ABA TECHSHOW’s conference website to learn more and register.
Last updated July 28th, 2022