The Lawyerist Best Law Firm Websites competition was born out of a need and desire to show law firms that website design can and will determine much of your success in attracting and winning over your clients.
We have a yearly competition where we encourage our community to nominate legal websites going above and beyond. After our submission period ends, we take each website through a grading rubric and choose a handful of top-rated websites as winners. Then, we showcase these websites so others in the community can look at real-life examples that will hopefully inspire them to properly optimize their site.
On this Page
Why do law firms need good websites?
There are many reasons to have a good website, but we’ve narrowed it down to two specific reasons: it increases exposure for your business and showcases your unique value.
A good website validates that your firm exists. It builds your firm image (aka brand) that will help your future clients trust you in the long run. A website with proper search engine optimization (SEO) increases the likelihood of more people—the right people—visiting your website. Your website is a great place to provide information, educate, and offer value to clients and potential clients.
What makes a standout law firm website?
There are law firm website design best practices shaping the legal industry, including tips for improving your site, how to increase traffic, usability, and more. We’ve broken down what differentiates a good website from a great website into four categories.
- Accessibility: Are you using alt tags or subtitles in your videos on your site to ensure users can easily get around? Have you considered alternatives to different types of media?
- Mobile friendly: Is your website optimized for mobile users (of which you’ll have plenty)?
- Navigation: When someone comes to your site, can they get a lay of the land and see where they’re going within 15-20 seconds of being on the page?
- Clarity: Does the design of your site prioritize and convey information properly and clearly?
- Aesthetics: Simply put, is your website clean and easy to read? Do the colors flow? Are the videos/photos properly sized & high quality?
- Calls-to-action: Tell your potential client precisely what they should do. Why should they hire you?
- Content Marketing: Are you offering legal checklists or free downloadable PDFs? Provide them with valuable content.
- Messaging: When someone comes to your site, they should know who you are and what you do. They should immediately know what you’re about and how you’ll help them.
- Personality: People on your site want to connect with you (and your team). They want to see a real person behind the website.
- Innovation: What ways are you leading the charge? The more unique to you, the more distinct you’ll be amongst the competition.
- SEO: If you optimize your site and build out your pages and titles with top searched legal keywords, more leads will come to your website. This can be a learning curve but is an essential step you shouldn’t overlook.
- Page load speed: A small factor that makes all the difference. If your page takes too long to load, visits won’t be back–they may not even show up.
Want more? Check out our Complete Guide to Law Firm Websites.
Most Recent Winners
If you want to go even further back, check out more past winners!