If you want a quick-start guide, get our 4-Step Computer Security Upgrade.
- Understand the threats you face and how you might be putting your clients’ information at risk.
- Build a threat model for your firm.
- Learn to recognize a risky email.
- Use good passwords.
- Enable two-factor authentication for your key accounts.
- Back up your devices.
- Encrypt all devices with client information or that can access client information.
- Use a VPN when you connect to public Wi-Fi networks, and use a browser plugin like HTTPS Everywhere.
- Learn how to use a secure client communication portal or encrypt your email.
- How to wipe a hard drive clean.
Last updated 2017-01-17.