- $300 required installation and training fee.
- Guided installation.
- Importing cases and contacts from other law practice management software is possible, but see below for details.
Smokeball costs $139 per user per month, plus a required onboarding fee of $300 for installation and training. This puts Smokeball on the expensive end of law practice management software pricing, especially considering you will need additional software for invoicing and accounting.
To put that in context, two well-established software options are Clio and MyCase. The highest-priced tier of Clio is Elite, and it costs $99 per user per month. On the other end of the spectrum, MyCase is just $39 per user per month.
You will also need invoicing and billing software. Smokeball integrates with two options: Clio and Boost Billing, which is in invitation-only beta. If you want to use Smokeball with Clio for invoicing and billing you’ll need to pay for the middle Clio tier, Boutique, which costs $59 per user per month on top of your Smokeball contract.
After you sign up for Smokeball, a representative will schedule a call with you. They will either guide you through the install process or remotely install and configure the software for you, whichever you prefer.
Here’s what’s included in the onboarding process:
- Installing Smokeball.
- Installing add-ins for Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Setting up your letterhead template.
- Configuring user preferences.
- A consultation call to learn more about your firm and its needs.
- Two online training sessions covering basic and advanced features.
In short, the setup process is fairly time-intensive, but if you need hand-holding you will probably appreciate the attention.