Clio is a powerful, innovative, user-friendly law practice platform that offers law firms an array of options for adding functionality through its extensive App Directory and open API.
Integrations. One of Clio’s standout features has long been the extensive list of apps with which it integrates. No matter what software and services you use, you can probably plug them into Clio. But in September 2017, Clio took this to another level by building the entire app around a robust API. Now if Clio doesn’t do something you in the way you wish it would, and if none of its App Directory integrations do either, you can go ahead and build your own app on top of Clio’s API that does exactly what you want, exactly how you want.
Design. Clio has embraced user-centered design in a huge way. Clio customers play a central role in shaping Clio’s development roadmap, and Clio gauges its own success by its customers’ success. Even if you never notice, you’ll benefit.
Single-page app. Clio’s web app is now a single-page app. This means you don’t have to wait for the page to reload every time you click a button or link, making the web app feel faster and more responsive.
Clio starts at $39/user/month for the Starter (basic) plan. Most firms will want to upgrade to the Boutique plan, for $59/user/month, and take advantage of features like document automation, third-party integrations, trust requests, and alternative-fee (flat and contingent) billing. Firms with more sophisticated workflows may need to upgrade to the Elite plan, for $99/user/month.
All plans include training and live customer support from 8am to 8pm Eastern, Monday through Friday.
|Billing & Invoicing||✓|
Things You Might Want to Know
Plugins for Outlook and Gmail. Clio has plugins for Gmail and Outlook so you can associate emails with contacts and matters in Clio.
Accounting sold separately. While Clio will handle your billing, trust accounting, and basic bookkeeping, you may need a full accounting software package like QuickBooks or Xero. Fortunately, you can integrate both with Clio.
Task templates. You can create reusable task templates, which make it easy to assign things like briefing schedules with a couple of clicks. Task due dates can depend on other tasks, but not on calendar items.
Track your marketing. With Campaign Tracker, you can generate unique phone numbers (routed to your firm phone number) to use with ads, create contact forms, and enter leads manually. It’s a simple solution to a common problem: figuring out where your clients came from.
Who Clio is For
Clio is the clear leader in cloud-based law practice management software. While Clio is good for most small firms, its App Directory and open API make it especially attractive for firms that want to build a system out of multiple tools, all working together. If you are shopping for law practice management software for your firm, Clio should be on your short list of options to test.
Links to More Articles on Clio
- The Redesigned Clio Adds New Features and Is More User-Focused than Ever
- Clio’s Apollo Update is an Ambitious “Re-Platforming”
- Clio’s Improved QuickBooks Online Integration Helps Ensure All of Your Accounts Are Reconciled
- Clio’s Trust Requests Feature Helps Streamline Your Entire Trust Payment Process
- Chrometa’s Passive Timekeeping Helps Capture Every Minute of Your Day
- Your Law Firm Is a Business, so Run It like One (Sponsored)
- Podcast #95: Goldilocks, Clio, and Apps for Access to Justice, with Katrina Leung
- The Clio Legal Trends Report: Big Data for Small Firms
- The Evolution of Law Practice Management Software Design
- Product Design, Better Documents, Client Service, and Ethics, with TBD Law Sponsors
- 5 Myths Clouding Your Firm’s Technical Competency (Sponsored)
- Free Guide: Strategizing Civil Litigation with Clio (Sponsored)
- Clio Introduces Campaign Tracker and Clio Payments
- Lawyerist at the 2015 Clio Cloud Conference
- Clio Announces Cheaper and More-Expensive Pricing Options
- Clio Goes Blue, Releases its Android App, Integrates with Fastcase, and More
- Clio is Now Popular Enough to Have a User Conference
- Clio Unveils a Beautiful New UI Design
- Clio Releases its iPhone App
- Clio Updates with NetDocuments and Xero Integration, Promises an iPhone App “Worth the Wait”
- Clio Announces Google Drive Integration
- ScanSnap Adds “Send to Clio”
- Is Clio Right For Your Law Firm?
- Clio: a promising, but pricey, practice management solution