ABA TECHSHOW®1 is the legal tech event of the year for small-firm lawyers and staff. If you have any interest in legal tech or online marketing, you should plan to attend ABA TECHSHOW at least once—and we’re pretty sure you’ll be back.
February 27, 2019-March 2, 2019
Hyatt Regency Chicago, 151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601
What to Expect at ABA TECHSHOW
For a legal conference ABA TECHSHOW is huge. Something like 1,500 people, hundreds of legal tech exhibitors, and dozens of presenters attended in 2017. And there is a lot of stuff to do.
In fact, you could say there are at least four ways to experience ABA TECHSHOW:
- Come to learn. Most people come for the sessions, to learn about legal technology and online marketing and how to get the most out of their tools.
- Come to network. Most of the sessions are panels, and there are a lot of sessions, which means there are a ton of speakers. It’s a great place to meet the legal tech writers, podcasters, CEOs, and other people you know from the internet.
- Come to shop. Hundreds of vendors pack the EXPO Hall, making it a great opportunity to connect with the people who make the technology you use in your law practice, to shop for something new, or just see what’s out there.
- Come to party. There are at least two official receptions, a vendor happy hour in the EXPO Hall, a Beer for Bloggers happy hour, many Taste of ABA TECHSHOW dinners hosted by the faculty, several vendors throw lavish after-hours parties, and you can always choose your own adventure in Chicago after the sessions are over for the evening.
Most attendees do a little of each, of course. And there’s more happening in and around ABA TECHSHOW, like a 5K fun run, morning yoga, startup pitches, a hackathon, a legal hacker meetup, Lawyerist Lab meetups, and more.
A couple of years ago ABA TECHSHOW produced a short video introduction. It mostly addressed #1, above, so it is a good summary of what you can learn.
What Not to Miss at ABA TECHSHOW
Besides the sessions that interest you, the EXPO Hall, and the official receptions, here are three things not to miss while you’re at ABA TECHSHOW:
- Taste of ABA TECHSHOW dinners. These are a chance to have dinner (you pay for your own) with one or more speakers to continue the discussion—or just have a good time.
- Beer for Bloggers. Every year, LexBlog’s Kevin O’Keefe hosts a happy hour for law bloggers at the conference hotel. It’s one of the best places to meet the bloggers and podcasters you already read or listen to.
- After-hours parties. Clio and Mycase have for years hosted lavish after-hours parties for customers, but the guest lists are often open to anyone in the know—and fill up fast. Clio changes venues every year, while Mycase’s party has usually been at Buddy Guy’s Legends club.
There’s more, but that will get you started!
Posts About ABA TECHSHOW
- Podcast #16: Daniel Gershburg on the Future of SoloSmall Practice, Plus ABA TECHSHOW 2015 Wrap-Up
- ABA TECHSHOW Has a Keynote Speaker Problem
- 70% of Lawyers Don’t Know What the Internet Is
- The Future of Practice Management is in the Cloud
- Get Your #LexThink.1 Bingo Card
- The 5 Most Provocative #ABATechShow Session Titles