Business books are potent tools that catalyze your personal growth and your professional development. So pick up a book, grab some great insight into best practices for starting, managing, and growing your solo or small law firm, and chat about it with some like-minded folks in Lawyerist’s Business Book Club.
The Business Book Club inspires you to crack open a new business book each month with our Insider community. Want to join? It is virtual, of course, and participation is simple:
- Pick up a copy of this month’s book in your favorite format;
- Look for weekly business book club posts on our Insider Facebook page;
- Follow along;
- Jump in and add to the conversation;
- Join us at month’s end for a video conference to gab about the book in more detail.
- Implement your ideas, improve your practice, and change the world.
- Wash, rinse, repeat.
- February’s Business Book Club of the Month: High Performance Habits
- January’s Business Book Club of the Month: Profit First
- December’s Business Book of the Month: Simple Numbers
- November’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: People First Culture
- October’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: Thinking in Bets
- September’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: Give
February’s Business Book Club of the Month:
High Performance Habits
In February, we’re tackling: High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way by Brendon Burchard
It turns out that just six deliberate habits give you the edge. Anyone can practice these habits and, when they do, extraordinary things happen in their lives, relationships, and careers.
Which habits can help you achieve long-term success and vibrant well-being no matter your age, career, strengths, or personality? To become a high performer, you must seek clarity, generate energy, raise necessity, increase productivity, develop influence, and demonstrate courage. This book is about the art and science of how to cultivate and practice these proven habits. Whether you want to get more done, lead others better, develop skill faster, or dramatically increase your sense of joy and confidence, the habits in this book will help you achieve it faster.
Here’s the plan:
Week of February 4 – Insider Facebook Discussion on the Introduction and Habit 1
Week of February 11 – Insider Facebook Discussion on Habit 2 and Habit 3
Week of February 18 – Insider Facebook Discussion on Habit 4 and Habit 5
Week of February 25 – Insider Facebook Discussion on Habit 6 and Insider Facebook Live video discussion
January’s Business Book Club of the Month: Profit First
It’s January so it’s a great time to tackle our cash management with the system spelled out in Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz
The author of cult classics The Pumpkin Plan and The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur offers a simple, counterintuitive cash management solution that will help small businesses break out of the doom spiral and achieve instant profitability.
Conventional accounting uses the logical (albeit, flawed) formula: sales – expenses = profit. The problem is, businesses are run by humans, and humans aren’t always logical. Serial entrepreneur Mike Michalowicz has developed a behavioral approach to accounting to flip the formula: Sales – Profit = Expenses. Just as the most effective weight loss strategy is to limit portions by using smaller plates, Michalowicz shows that by taking profit first and apportioning only what remains for expenses, entrepreneurs will transform their businesses from cash-eating monsters to profitable cash cows. Using Michalowicz’s Profit First system, you’ll learn that:
- Following four simple principles can simplify accounting and make it easier to manage a profitable business by looking at bank account balances.
- A small, profitable business can be worth much more than a large business surviving on its top line.
- Businesses that attain early and sustained profitability have a better shot at achieving long-term growth.
With dozens of case studies, practical step-by-step advice, and his signature sense of humor, Michalowicz has the game-changing road map for any entrepreneur to make money they always dreamed of.
December’s Business Book of the Month: Simple Numbers
We are going to tackle firm finances with Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits! by Greg Crabtree.
Simple Numbers can guide you to increased business profitability! Take the mystery out of small business finance with this no-frills guide to understanding the numbers that will guide your business out of any financial black hole. Author Greg Crabtree, a successful accountant, small business advisor, and popular presenter, shows you how to use your firm’s key financial indicators as a basis for smart business decisions as you grow your firm from startup to $5 million (and, more!) in annual revenue.
• Why your numbers are lying to you (and why you are the cause!)
• How labor productivity is the key to profitability and simplifying human resource decisions
• Why the amount of tax you pay is your #1 key performance indicator. Take advantage of Crabtree’s years of experience teaching clients how to build successful businesses by ”seeing beyond numbers” with this step-by-step guide to increasing your
November’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: People First Culture
In November, we’re exploring People-first Culture: Build a Lasting Company By Shifting Your Focus from Profits to People by Michel Falcon. In his book, Falcon shares real-world examples from his hospitality company about how to build strong relationships with customers, employees, and community by focusing on company culture, employee engagement, and customer experience.
Read this book to learn how to build systems and processes to strengthen the relationship you have with anyone who interacts with your brand while also feeling a sense of enthusiasm and energy for your workplace and customers.
Joining the discussion is easy:
- Week of November 5: Insider Facebook Discussion on Part I
- Week of November 12: Insider Facebook Discussion on Chapters 5 -7
- Week of November 19: Insider Facebook Discussion on Chapters 8-10
- November 21: Check out The Lawyerist Podcast, Episode 198 when Sam interviews author Michel Falcon
- Week of November 26: Insider Facebook Discussion on Part III
- November 29 at 3:00 pm Eastern: Facebook Live Video Discussion
October’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: Thinking in Bets
For October, we’re reading Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts, by Annie Duke.
Even the best decision doesn’t yield the best outcome every time. There’s always an element of luck that you can’t control, and there is always information hidden from view (at least until it isn’t). Annie Duke, a former World Series of Poker champion turned business consultant, draws on examples from business, sports, politics, and (of course) poker to unlock tools anyone can use to embrace uncertainty and make better decisions. By shifting your thinking from the need for certainty to the goal of accurately assessing what you know and what you don’t, you’ll gird your decision-making skills against reactive emotions, knee-jerk biases, and destructive habits. And you’ll become more confident, calm, compassionate, and successful to boot.
Here’s our plan for tackling Thinking in Bets:
- October 3: Check out The Lawyerist Podcast, Episode 192 when Sam interviews author Annie Duke
- Week of October 8: Insider Facebook Discussion on Chapters 1 & 2
- Week of October 15: Insider Facebook Discussion on Chapters 3 & 4
- Week of October 22: Insider Facebook Discussion on Chapters 5 & 6
- October 30 at 4:00 pm Eastern: Video Discussion
September’s Business Book Club Book of the Month: Give
September’s pick is Give: The Ultimate Guide to Using Facebook Advertising to Generate More Leads, More Clients, and Massive ROI, by Nicholas Kusmick.
Most marketers concentrate on what they’re trying to get. The best marketers focus on what they have to give. The way people consume media is changing, and fast. Laptops, tablets, and smartphones keep us connected continuously, which represents a tremendous opportunity for savvy marketers. The only problem: the old methods are no longer working. New media demands new advertising.
Facebook is the single most effective platform for marketing in the Internet era, and Nicholas Kusmich is the best Facebook marketer in the world. In GIVE, he shows you what differentiates Facebook from traditional advertising and explains why it’s so important to promote your business in a way that’s congruent with social media norms. He’ll take you through a four-step process to pinpoint your market, master your message, create a magnet, and build a mechanism to create—and help you retain and develop—powerful relationships. When used well, Nic’s Facebook advertising strategies can send your return on investment through the roof.