Many attorneys provide pro bono services for a variety of reasons: to gain experience, to transition into new areas of law, to network with other attorneys, and to do something good for others. Unfortunately, pro bono work can take up a lot of time depending on the case and client, and most attorneys would agree with Ben Franklin that “time is money.”

If you have taken on a lot of pro bono work, you might wonder whether the federal government values your time, as well. In other words, can the value of your time and services while providing pro bono legal services qualify as a charitable contribution that is deductible from gross income on your federal tax return? Unfortunately, in a word, nope.

According to IRS Publication 526, “you cannot deduct the value of your time or services, including blood donations to the Red Cross or to blood banks, and the value of income lost while you work as an unpaid volunteer for a qualified organization.”

Fortunately, you can deduct certain out-of-pocket expenses in giving services. In general, if the expense benefits a qualified charitable organization, it may be deductible: “Although you cannot deduct the value of your services given to a qualified organization, you may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be: unreimbursed, directly connected with the services, expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and not personal, living, or family expenses.”

This includes expenses for travel-related costs, such as gas, taxis, shuttles, trains, lodging, meals, office supplies, voice and data communications, filing fees, postage and other expenses necessary for providing charitable services. It does not include travel expenses during a vacation or recreational activities or personal property used while providing pro bono services. You can, however, deduct maintenance costs for the printer, such as paper and ink used for the purposes of providing pro bono services. As with all tax deductions, it’s a good idea to save all of your receipts and keep a mileage log that you can give to your accountant or tax preparer to help guide you through the proper steps.

Finally, make sure that the pro bono work you provide is for an organization that qualifies to receive deductible contributions. Usually, an organization will be able to tell you if it is qualified, but you may also search a list of qualified charities on the IRS website by clicking on “Exempt Organizations Select Check” at or by calling 877-820-5500.